How to read technical papers in computer science?
When you read articles or reports, keep the following in mind
- What is the main contribution of the paper?
- Is this important, why?
- Is this a theoretical contribution to some fundamental problems in CS, or a protocol-like contribution, or both?
- What was the main insight in getting the result?
- What is not clear to you?
- What did the authors not do, and you regard important?
- What are the most important assumptions, are they limiting?
- What are the possible applications suggested in the paper?
- How does this relate to other things we have seen?
- What extensions does this suggest?
- Can you suggest some project idea based around the ideas in this paper